And the official countdown can being. I leave for New York July 9; Israel July 10th; and then race on July 23rd in Tel Aviv! It is starting to feel a little realer to me! Not in the super super prep and excited mode quite yet but I am sure that will come when July arrives. Maccabiah USA has also starte to send information, details and uniforms! Here is what I have so far:
- ARRIVALS (July 10, 2013): The 1100 plus USA athletes will arrive in Israel and start meeting one another. Besides Coach Rothman (who is coaching the Junior Track team) and Rob Fellman (Track Chair and athlete), I do not know anyone! I don’t even know anyone from the half marathon team – so this should be quite exciting!
- ISRAEL CONNECT (July 11-16, 2013): We get to see Israel and all it offers – well not all – but a lot! Including: Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, Masada, Bedouin tent dinner, Yad Vashem, and much more!
- TRAVEL TO TEL AVIV WITH HALF MARATHON TEAM AND OTHER OPEN SPORTS TEAMS (July 17, 2013): This is where the two weeks of competition period beings. (I won’t be running until July 23 so I will have lots of time to see Israel
- visit with family, meet the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County’s partners in the region, and do some work for BlueIvy Communications!
- HALF-MARATHON RACE (July 23, 2013): The race will take place in the evening at 8:00pm, when it could potentially cool to around 90 degrees and 90% humidity! Luckily I am from Florida so am sorta used to it! Picture of the course included below.
- TEL-AVIV TO NEWARK TO FLORIDA (August 1, 2013)
I will share pictures in the coming weeks – and of course during the games you can follow me on my facebook page (www.facebook.com/melissaperlman). Not a friend? Just request me!
Still interested in supporting? I am still a ways away from my goal – so any little bit helps! Visit my donation page here: http://friendraising.towercare.com/Markslist/campaign/display/profile.do?campaignId=10591
More details provided to me on the Maccabiah Games:
We represent the USA’s best Jewish athletes. Since the Games started 80 years ago, only 6,000 USA athletes have participated, many former, current or past Olympians. Our track and field teams over the years are fewer than only 500 participants- (many are blind copied on this email.) You are in the company of: Dwight Stones (announcer and US Olympian), Ken Flax (current NCAA record holder, US Olympian), Deena Kastor (current USA marathon record holder and USA Olympian), Irv Mondschein (USA Olympian). Jews are a small minority in the world (.25%) yet we make up of over 3% of Olympic medals. As per Adam Sandler, “not too shabby.”